Sunday 11 May 2014

Toby Carvery

Hello

I gave up Dairy again for a few months.  I started at the end of January and continued on until Easter.
The only time it was slightly frustrating was when it was time to eat out.  Restaurants these days are better at labelling, especially the chain restaurants.  I'm afraid I didn't have any faith in Indian restaurants so avoided going out for a curry entirely.

I organised a meal out to Toby Carvery.  As I had to book anyway, I used this opportunity to enquire about my dietary requirements.  Manny at the Lower Earley branch was extremely helpful.  He informed me the glaze they use for the turkey was honey and okay for me to eat.  I did ask about the vegetables because they are the best bit!  He said they would cook a fresh batch for me on the night.

On the night, I got there early and announced my arrival.  When my guests had arrived and were ready to go up, I checked with the server about my vegetables and they rustled up some. 

Carrots, leeks, peas and cauliflower with Veggie gravy
 

I was slightly disappointment that there were no roast potatoes but even more at the lack of roast parsnips, easily the best accompaniment to a roast!
That didn't last long because I was happy at the selection and size of the portions.  I find leeks in cream sauce or leeks with cheese very sickly so was a bit wary that they put leeks on my plate.  I needn't be as they were lovely!  They tasted sweet.  So thanks Toby and dairy-freeness, I like leeks now!

I went again as a last minute plan.  I opted for their Vegan Nut Wellington.

It was delicious!  They were very busy so I didn't want to cause any hassle.  My friends had almost eaten their food as my one needed to be heated in the oven.  I queued up for the veg and asked the chef if there were any veggies without any butter.  He suggested I have roast parsnips and the onions in gravy.  So still no roast potatoes!  I think with this Nut Roast Wellington, I was really craving for some peas!

Pros:
They are helpful if you phone them beforehand (preferably at a not so busy time)
2 Vegan choices on the menu: Nut Roast Wellington and Vegetable Shepherd's Pie

Cons:
You don't want to know the calories in the Nut Roast Wellington!
No desserts suitable.


No comments:

Post a Comment